Review: Just One of the Royals - Leah Rooper

39861093
Just One of the Royals by Leah Rooper
Series: The Chicago Falcons Series #2
My rating: {★★★☆☆}

YA Contemporary Romance
Expected publication: June 2018 by Entangled Teen

Source: Entangled via NetGalley
Star hockey player Daniel Sacachelli wants only two things: 1) for the Falcons to win next season, and 2) for his secret — the fact he’s actually the prince of Eldonia — to never make its way to Chicago. But if Daniel keeps avoiding his crown, their family will lose their kingdom forever.

Madison Myong can’t believe that her will-they-or-won’t-they best friend Daniel is really a prince! He’s always seemed more rebel than royal. But now, he needs to clean up his image, fast. Posing as his long-time girlfriend, Madison accompanies him back to Eldonia, intending to give Daniel a makeover fit for a king.

Only, the more royal Daniel becomes, the more Madison misses her best friend. And if she does her job right, she’ll lose him forever...
** I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. **

This book was super cute! It immediately reminded me of The Prince and Me or even The Princess Diaries and even though contemporary romance isn't my usual read I knew that I had to give this one a try - and I'm glad that I did; I enjoyed it.

Just One Of The Royals is actually the second in a series that seems to be centred around the budding romances of a team of hockey players however you can easily read this as a standalone (I did!). The couple from the previous book did feature in this one however everything you needed to know was explained/recapped and I didn't feel as though I was missing anything although I might search out the first book just to see!

Daniel is our main character, a hockey player and a bit of a reprobate, he's harbouring a huge secret - the fact that he's actually the prince of a foreign country.

Madison is Daniel's best friend, a Korean-American whose parents are doctors and would like her to follow in their footsteps but Madison aspires to be an actress.

The writing style is simple and easy to read but sometimes the interactions felt a little awkward and contrived. I actually found it easier to connect with Daniel over Madison and I found his character believable and his motivations genuine.

This isn't an unpredictable story and at times I was wanting to jump into the pages to give the characters their solution (which they came to eventually by themselves) but considering we're following a group of teenagers nothing felt out of place.

It's light and fluffy and entertaining and with the ice-hockey and royalty angle I can see it being popular with many readers. The next book centres on Daniel's half sister which also sounds like it could be extremely sweet and cute so I'll be following this series.

Recent Reads:

Graceling
The Broken Destiny
Adulthood Is a Myth: A
Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy
Throne of Jade
Oxford Roald Dahl Dictionary
Starlight
Stress-Free Potty Training: A Commonsense Guide to Finding the Right Approach for Your Child
Moonbreeze
Redefining Girly: How Parents Can Fight the Stereotyping and Sexualizing of Girlhood, from Birth to Tween
Frostbite
Thunderlight
Firebolt
Amanzimtoti: The Ridge
The Curse of the Bruel Coven
Buzz Books 2016: Young Adult Fall/Winter
The Crown
A Court of Mist and Fury
Cruel Crown
A Court of Thorns and Roses


Di's favorite books »