Review: Starlight - Adrienne Woods


27314626

Starlight by Adrienne Woods

Rating {★★★★☆}

I always try to rate a book as soon as I close it so that I can capture exactly how I feel at the time and exactly where that book transported me to. This book is a wonderful example of why I do this because if I had waited until today to rate it, I probably would have dropped that rating to a three star, but truthfully this book was satisfying in so many ways and when I finally came to the close of it and reminisced about the entire story that I had read, I needed to give it the four stars because I really liked it.

There were so many great elements to this novel and in fact to this whole series, but there were also a huge number of letdowns. There were still, even in this last book published so many years after the first, so many glaring errors in both grammar and spelling. This has been a big issue throughout the entire series. I'm not sure if the physical books would be any better but the ebooks were pretty horrific.

Another factor for me that was more to do with the plot planning - revelation disappointments. The mysterious and elusive ingredient that was built up and built up from the previous book? I was so disappointed to learn what it actually was.



The mystical orbs of the mighty Rubicon were also such a let down and at the end of the day ended up being a way to tie up a loose end that probably didn't even need tying up. It would have been better left alone.

And the most frustrating of the plot-lines - angsty disputes and unnecessary misunderstandings. Yes, we have heard how these two main characters will share the greatest love ever seen blah, blah, blah, but we didn't get to see any of it. It would have been far nicer to read about the two of them finally getting along and working together for the entire book and then we could have focused more on the action of freeing Etan instead of summing it all up in a few paragraphs after Elena wakes from her coma. WE missed out on so much! There was just a lot of teenage drama where by this point of the series, when the main characters are now actually all adults, I was expecting further character development from these people and a heavier focus on what was actually happening in the world and a well written finale.

There are a lot of things that I could pick apart here, and in fact writing this review has frustrated me even more with this series, but at the end of the day I did love it. There has been a lot of growth from the Author throughout this series which excites me - I cannot wait to read more by Adrienne Woods There is something so addictive about this world, something that kept compelling me to read and read and read. Something that made me fall in love with these characters despite all the flaws. Some formula that Woods has got entirely correct and that urges me to ask you to give this series a chance if you are thinking of trying it. I was thoroughly entertained and captivated by this and that is one of my greatest priorities for a good book!

View all my reviews

Comments

Recent Reads:

Graceling
The Broken Destiny
Adulthood Is a Myth: A
Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy
Throne of Jade
Oxford Roald Dahl Dictionary
Starlight
Stress-Free Potty Training: A Commonsense Guide to Finding the Right Approach for Your Child
Moonbreeze
Redefining Girly: How Parents Can Fight the Stereotyping and Sexualizing of Girlhood, from Birth to Tween
Frostbite
Thunderlight
Firebolt
Amanzimtoti: The Ridge
The Curse of the Bruel Coven
Buzz Books 2016: Young Adult Fall/Winter
The Crown
A Court of Mist and Fury
Cruel Crown
A Court of Thorns and Roses


Di's favorite books »