Review: The Iron Daughter - Julie Kagawa

The Iron Daughter (The Iron Fey, #2)The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa

Rating : {★★☆☆}

This one was a tough one for me to both rate and to review. I had a bit of a love-hate relationship with this book.

Kagawa's writing drew me in. The world is well imagined and richly described - sometimes possibly too richly described. I'm not too well versed on the fae and faerie/faery lore, in fact I've only recently really started reading faery books. The sheer amount of species (I think this is the right description?) that these books have is astounding. I'm trying to keep track of not only the Summer and Winter courts (Seelie and Unseelie) but also piskies, redhats, goblins, phoukas, wisps, Unicorns and a large other number of Nevernever creatures. Some of which was unnecessary and unimportant.

Meghan was a lot less annoying in this book. Not lovable, but I didn't despise her in this book. The love triangle that was inevitable from book one reared it's ugly head and was, for me, a downside of this book. From the opening chapters until the final declaration it was a matter of "I think I've seen this before. I know how this ends." And seriously - there was one part especially that was way, way OTT. I mean, ridiculously too much. One silvery tear. Cliché much? Also I hope that Puck can go back to being his normal self though - he seemed a bit too juvenile in this book for my liking. Perhaps I wasn't in the mood for his humour though.

I felt the plot was better fleshed out in this book and the ending set up something I'm really looking forward to in the next.

View all my reviews

Comments

Recent Reads:

Graceling
The Broken Destiny
Adulthood Is a Myth: A
Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy
Throne of Jade
Oxford Roald Dahl Dictionary
Starlight
Stress-Free Potty Training: A Commonsense Guide to Finding the Right Approach for Your Child
Moonbreeze
Redefining Girly: How Parents Can Fight the Stereotyping and Sexualizing of Girlhood, from Birth to Tween
Frostbite
Thunderlight
Firebolt
Amanzimtoti: The Ridge
The Curse of the Bruel Coven
Buzz Books 2016: Young Adult Fall/Winter
The Crown
A Court of Mist and Fury
Cruel Crown
A Court of Thorns and Roses


Di's favorite books »