Review: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two - J.K. Rowling


29056083


Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two by J.K. Rowling
Young Adult Fantasy Fiction
Published July 31st 2016 by Little, Brown UK

Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on July 30, 2016.
It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.
While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.

My Rating : {★★★★☆}

How do I even choose a number of stars for this? I think whatever I put it's almost irrelevant.

I was so scared when I heard about this latest instalment being released into the Harry Potter universe - I didn't want to ruin something that was just so perfect and I'm so glad that this was a script and not a novel because it was completely different and complimentary.

This play was completely charming, nostalgic and fun and I loved it.

I can see where a lot of fans have problems though and I can see why there are so many conflicted reviews of this release. I guess it is what you were expecting/wanting from this 8th Harry Potter book.

I had a lot of issues with the plot - it was definitely not as well thought out as the original books and I found a lot of things questionable. I also had some issues with the characters - I know this is set 19 years later and the characters that we knew and loved have all grown and changed but I sometimes felt as though they were no longer the wonderful complex characters we spent ten years growing up with.

But this is a script and is meant to be seen on stage which would create an entirely different atmosphere for the audience. I mean, it was entirely impressive that the dialogue was so well written that it could read like a book and that we are able to dive back into the world of Hogwarts and witchcraft and wizardry.

I laughed and I cried, I met new characters that I fell in love with and I caught up with so many old characters that I hated reaching the last page. I definitely want to see this one on stage - now to book the tickets and get to London!

Comments

Recent Reads:

Graceling
The Broken Destiny
Adulthood Is a Myth: A
Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy
Throne of Jade
Oxford Roald Dahl Dictionary
Starlight
Stress-Free Potty Training: A Commonsense Guide to Finding the Right Approach for Your Child
Moonbreeze
Redefining Girly: How Parents Can Fight the Stereotyping and Sexualizing of Girlhood, from Birth to Tween
Frostbite
Thunderlight
Firebolt
Amanzimtoti: The Ridge
The Curse of the Bruel Coven
Buzz Books 2016: Young Adult Fall/Winter
The Crown
A Court of Mist and Fury
Cruel Crown
A Court of Thorns and Roses


Di's favorite books »