Review: Chase the Dark - Annette Marie

34727443
Chase the Dark by Annette Marie
Series: Steel and Stone #1

My rating: {★★★★☆}

YA Urban Fantasy/Paranormal
Published October 17th 2014 by Dark Owl Fantasy Inc.

Source: Purchased
Piper Griffiths wants one thing in life: To become a Consul, a keeper of the peace between humans and daemons. There are three obstacles in her way.

The first is Lyre. Incubus. Hotter than hell and with a wicked streak to match. His greatest mission in life is to get Piper into bed and otherwise annoy the crap out of her. The second is Ash. Draconian. Powerful. Dangerous. He knows too much and reveals nothing. Also, disturbingly attractive — and scary. Did she mention scary?

The third is the Sahar Stone. Top secret magical weapon of mass destruction. Previously hidden in her Consulate until thieves broke in, went on a murder spree, and disappeared with the weapon.

And they left Piper to take the fall for their crimes.

Now she’s on the run, her dreams of becoming a Consul shattered and every daemon in the city gunning to kill her. She’s dead on her own, but there’s no one she can trust — no one except two entirely untrustworthy daemons ... See problems one and two.
This book was a really fun ride. It's been sooo long since I've read a good YA Urban Fantasy and this one was a serious page turner. It's action packed, engaging, funny and unique.

I actually picked this one up as soon as I finished The Night Realm and I'm totally HOOKED! Annette Marie has just got a way of grabbing my attention and never letting go.

I'm a huge fan of Annette Marie's heroines and the main character of this one is no exception.

Piper is essentially a haemon (human x daemon) although she was born of two haemon parents and she has none of the magical abilities that a haemon born of a human and daemon combo.

Even without magic, Piper is a force to be reckoned with and she shows how pure bravery and determination can often be more powerful than brute force. She felt so authentic and just the sort of character that I can relate to and that girls can realistically aspire to be.

There are two main male protagonists, Ash and Lyre and I adored them both.

Having read The Night Realm which follows Lyre I was already completely in love with that incubus. He's flirty and seductive and yet trustworthy and loyal.
If sex appeal were an artist, he was its masterpiece.
Ash is a bad boy, through and through but what red blooded woman wouldn't have a little thing for him? He's powerful, understated and BAD, BAD, BAD. But at the same time he's also fiercely protective, vulnerable and broken and . . . Can you tell I'm #TeamAsh?
Unlike Lyre, he didn’t have that cultivated appeal of “I’m a little bad, but you can trust me.” Ash was all bad.
The chemistry is sizzling off the pages and although there wasn't really a romance to speak of there's definitely something there and I found myself shipping HARD. I've seen some whispers of a love triangle, but I really didn't see it that way. Lyre just can't help being Lyre and whether I'm influenced from reading The Night Realm first, I'm not sure... But I'm still saying NO LOVE TRIANGLE.

The world building is excellent as usual although there were a few small things that made me think that this might be the author's debut novel. Nothing that really impacted my enjoyment though.

The dialogue is so FUN - it made me laugh out loud and I loved the banter and the wit and snark and the dynamic between the team.

Chase the Dark is addictive, fun, fast and extremely entertaining - just my sort of book!
Some daemons you can’t help but fear. You will always be afraid. It’s human nature.
Bind the Soul (Steel&Stone #2)→

Recent Reads:

Graceling
The Broken Destiny
Adulthood Is a Myth: A
Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy
Throne of Jade
Oxford Roald Dahl Dictionary
Starlight
Stress-Free Potty Training: A Commonsense Guide to Finding the Right Approach for Your Child
Moonbreeze
Redefining Girly: How Parents Can Fight the Stereotyping and Sexualizing of Girlhood, from Birth to Tween
Frostbite
Thunderlight
Firebolt
Amanzimtoti: The Ridge
The Curse of the Bruel Coven
Buzz Books 2016: Young Adult Fall/Winter
The Crown
A Court of Mist and Fury
Cruel Crown
A Court of Thorns and Roses


Di's favorite books »