Review: Thieving Weasels - Billy Taylor


24183675

Thieving Weasels by Billy Taylor

Rating {★☆}

Light-hearted, fast and fun, this isn't a book that I would normally have picked up had it not been for Penguin's First to Read program.

I was entertained by this book, and I did enjoy most of it, but I think the target audience is probably teenage boys and I suspect they would appreciate it a lot more than I did. It's difficult to truly develop a full cast of characters in such a short novel, but the author manages to get the reader rooting for Skip and there are a range of disreputable characters (mainly Skip's family) that we come to know and you can fully feel the impact of them on his life. It was fun but it just wasn't particularly compelling or engaging for me. I didn't have a problem with reading a couple of chapters and then putting it down for a while. The plot is cleverly developed and the final scene wraps everything up nicely. It's a quirky coming of age novel and has enough humour and enough action to keep most people reading to the end.

View all my reviews

Comments

Recent Reads:

Graceling
The Broken Destiny
Adulthood Is a Myth: A
Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy
Throne of Jade
Oxford Roald Dahl Dictionary
Starlight
Stress-Free Potty Training: A Commonsense Guide to Finding the Right Approach for Your Child
Moonbreeze
Redefining Girly: How Parents Can Fight the Stereotyping and Sexualizing of Girlhood, from Birth to Tween
Frostbite
Thunderlight
Firebolt
Amanzimtoti: The Ridge
The Curse of the Bruel Coven
Buzz Books 2016: Young Adult Fall/Winter
The Crown
A Court of Mist and Fury
Cruel Crown
A Court of Thorns and Roses


Di's favorite books »